Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28204
Posting Flair : 1896
View user profile http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

I finally - FINALLY - caught up on this series and finished it over the weekend.

Anybody else on here managed to watch it? Any thoughts?

Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14078
Posting Flair : 1455
View user profile

PostCyncoedslumdog on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:02 pm

@Arkay Dubya wrote:
@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:
@Rhys wrote:
@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:
@Tans Tache wrote:Band of Brothers!!! YESSSS! Hoorah recognition at last!! What an amazing series! Although special mentions go to Banshee, Wayward Pines, 11:22:63, Ray Donovan, Game of Thrones, Shooter (they made a TV series...with Ryan Phillippe which actually turned out ok)

A TV series has never had such an all star cast...
- Damien Lewis
- Michael Fassbender
- Tom Hardy
- James McAvoy
- Donnie Wahlberg
- Dale Dye
- David Schwimmer
- Stephen Graham
- Simon Pegg
All had been in big films/TV shows or have gone on to great things (aside from Donnie Wahlberg who was in New Kids on the Block)

Which from the list had that embarrassment of riches? You forgot to bold the relevant information good sir.

Band of Brothers of course!

Absolutely 100% agree with this. You can also add Rick Gomez, Jamie Bamber, Michael Cudlitz, Scott Grimes, Neal McDonough, Ron Livingston, Eion Bailey, Dexter Fletcher and Marc Warren to name but a few more. It really is an incredible cast. Although, quite a lot of them were cast as unknowns purely because they looked like the real life people they portrayed and then subsequently used it as a springboard to greater things. Only Schwimmer, Wahlberg,and Dye were really "known" at the time the rest (including Pegg) were slowly gathering press but only in the UK and only to those who were paying attention. Having rewatched it with Mrs Arkay recently, it still more than holds it own, has some great scripts and doesn't outstay it's welcome like most series these days. It could be argued that it helped paved the way for the modern "Golden Era" of television we're currently experiencing .

I used to work for a company that had it's head office based on the Hatfield estate where they shot quite a lot of it (the snow sequences in the woods, for instance, were all done in an old aircraft hanger there) and I used to regularly bore my managers with my knowledge of the area surrounding the offices. I don't work for them anymore.

Same with most other topics presumably
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:24 pm

I've not even going to deny it...

Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21150
Posting Flair : 1080
View user profile

PostSlimfrog's Son™ on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 pm

@Arkay Dubya wrote:
@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:
@Rhys wrote:
@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:
@Tans Tache wrote:Band of Brothers!!! YESSSS! Hoorah recognition at last!! What an amazing series! Although special mentions go to Banshee, Wayward Pines, 11:22:63, Ray Donovan, Game of Thrones, Shooter (they made a TV series...with Ryan Phillippe which actually turned out ok)

A TV series has never had such an all star cast...
- Damien Lewis
- Michael Fassbender
- Tom Hardy
- James McAvoy
- Donnie Wahlberg
- Dale Dye
- David Schwimmer
- Stephen Graham
- Simon Pegg
All had been in big films/TV shows or have gone on to great things (aside from Donnie Wahlberg who was in New Kids on the Block)

Which from the list had that embarrassment of riches? You forgot to bold the relevant information good sir.

Band of Brothers of course!

Absolutely 100% agree with this. You can also add Rick Gomez, Jamie Bamber, Michael Cudlitz, Scott Grimes, Neal McDonough, Ron Livingston, Eion Bailey, Dexter Fletcher and Marc Warren to name but a few more. It really is an incredible cast. Although, quite a lot of them were cast as unknowns purely because they looked like the real life people they portrayed and then subsequently used it as a springboard to greater things. Only Schwimmer, Wahlberg,and Dye were really "known" at the time the rest (including Pegg) were slowly gathering press but only in the UK and only to those who were paying attention. Having rewatched it with Mrs Arkay recently, it still more than holds it own, has some great scripts and doesn't outstay it's welcome like most series these days. It could be argued that it helped paved the way for the modern "Golden Era" of television we're currently experiencing .

I used to work for a company that had it's head office based on the Hatfield estate where they shot quite a lot of it (the snow sequences in the woods, for instance, were all done in an old aircraft hanger there) and I used to regularly bore my managers with my knowledge of the area surrounding the offices. I don't work for them anymore.

Dexter Fletcher was actually a child star, thinking about it, but his career had stalled and Band of Brothers gave him another chance. Certainly the budget of Band of Brothers had never been seen before and while there have been some good series' since (The Pacific, Luther etc) you're right in that they may never have been made if it wasn't for Band of Brothers.

So after the job near the set of Band of Brothers, where did you end up, career wise...?
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:50 am

@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:.

So after the job near the set of Band of Brothers, where did you end up, career wise...?

London.

coat
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21150
Posting Flair : 1080
View user profile

PostSlimfrog's Son™ on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:39 am

@Arkay Dubya wrote:
@Slimfrog's Son™️ wrote:.

London.

coat

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum