View previous topicGo downView next topic
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18232
Posting Flair : 1050
View user profile

Controversial opinion time...

on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 am
Been away for a week so had some time to watch results trickle in and ponder the clubs situation in general. I've come to this - I think Slade has done enough in the close out of this season to justify keeping him on into the next.

Never thought I'd say this (especially straight after a loss), but we have had a quiet revolution in the last few weeks. We beat Derby, one of the best teams in the league, and held one of the promotion favourites to a draw away from home. We started thumping a couple of very good teams by very respectable score lines. We, generally speaking, look more confident on the ball and our defensive line looks more balanced. Even when we don't get the result we are playing the top teams on equal footing instead of looking like the underdogs weeks in week out like we were months ago. There are blips in the road littered all over the shop but I firmly believe Slade has turned his Christmas 'could do better' teacher report into a 'noticeable improvement' if nothing else. The way it stands, we are going to miss out on the playoffs by just a handful of points, and if we started the season the way we have finished it we would be comfortably acheiving a top six place. I feel it would be staggeringly harsh to axe him at this point considering the obvious effort.

If we still aren't in the playoff spots come this Christmas, then he should go. But right now, I think we should resist the urge to become a sacking club and provide some stability and the opportunity to build on what he has done this year thus far.
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 5870
Posting Flair : 125
View user profile

Re: Controversial opinion time...

on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:47 am
Done the job he was asked to do. If the Club wants to go forward and really have any ambition he should go at the end of the season. If not keep him.
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18232
Posting Flair : 1050
View user profile

on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:21 am
Maybe you're right - but if the job he was asked to do was finish midtable in the championship while cutting the wage bill, you could argue he has overachieved by getting so close to the playoff places on top of that. Like I didn't want Malky sacked on the back of winning the league despite some serious concerns, I can't really justify sacking Slade on the basis of his success in regards to the objectives set for him. If on the back of this the club increase their ambition and THEN he fails, there's the justification.
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8264
Posting Flair : 691
View user profilehttp://danlewis92.weebly.com/

on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:59 pm
I just feel as though finishing where we are now is par for the course, and therefore Slade shouldn't receive too much praise - it is to be expected.

I would therefore personally bring in someone else this summer, preferably someone who will happily integrate a few more younger players, but should he stay then I wouldn't be as upset as a couple of months back.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum